Monday, July 18, 2016

Weekly Thoughts (7/18/16)

Hello again, everyone. It's been too long. If you haven't heard, we've undergone a little remodeling. We're now called "Head In The Game", and I've brought on Troy Lehman as a writer. If you, like me, are against pennies, like obscure sports, and enjoy movie-related jokes, you'll love him. He'll be mainly covering basketball (of the NBA, college, and Olympic variety). As for me, look for my fantasy football preview and an Olympics viewing guide in the near future. But first, I've decided to try a weekly article where I just share some (somewhat) random thoughts (hopefully I come up with a catchier name for it at some point). We'll see how this goes.

  • The answer to violence is not more violence. Can't we all just get along?

  • There are rumors the Oklahoma City Thunder are looking to trade Russell Westbrook with the increased likelihood that he won't re-sign with them next year. If I were the Thunder, I would try to trade him as soon as possible. Their chances of contending for a title don't look great after KD left, and as an elite player, Westbrook has immense trade value. If they don't trade him, though, I look forward to him going for 50 every game.

  • It's trade season in Major League Baseball, and a big one went down last week between the Boston Red Sox and San Diego Padres. Padres GM A.J. Preller once again got great value in a trade with Boston (he traded closer Craig Kimbrel there last year), trading All-Star pitcher Drew Pomeranz, who's having a career year, for 18-year-old top prospect Anderson Espinosa, who's been lauded by many as a future ace.

  • The Houston Astros made news when they signed Cuban star Yulieski Gurriel to a 5-year, $47.5 million contract last weekend. With the addition of him, and the continued dominance of top prospect Alex Bregman in Triple-A, the 'Stros, who are playing great after a slow start, look primed for a postseason run.

  • With that in mind, here are the five teams I think are most likely to win the World Series (as of right now):
    1. San Francisco Giants - It's an even year. 'Nuff said.
    2. Cleveland Indians - This year is the year! BELIEVELAND!!!
    3. Toronto Blue Jays - I still think they're an ace away from the World Series.
    4. Houston Astros - Ditto
    5. Washington Nationals - Maybe they'll finally live up to the expectations?

  • I am more of a believer in Ben Simmons than I was a few months ago. Like many people, I was unimpressed with him during his one year at LSU, but the #1 overall pick via the Philadelphia 76ers showed off his otherworldly passing skills and all-around talent during Summer League. Now, if only he could shoot...


No comments:

Post a Comment