Sunday, September 29, 2013

Week 4 NFL Picks

Well, that was a rough first week for my NFL picks. I went 7-8 last week, which isn't as bad as I thought. But some of the games I missed on I really missed on. I picked the Giants, who got blown out by the Panthers. I wrote that I wasn't impressed with the Ravens, Dolphins, and Colts, who all had impressive wins. I picked against my own team and got it wrong! Plus, some of the picks I got right were gimmes: Seahawks over Jags, Patriots over Bucs, and Broncos over Raiders. Here's hoping I do better this week. Now for the picks:
Browns (1-2) over Bengals (2-1) (Cincinnati at Cleveland, 1:00 Sun. CBS)
I really had to think about this one. Maybe I'm picking the Browns because I want to think they will win this game. I thought about using reverse psychology and picking against them again so they will win again, but that would basically be sacrificing a pick. I really do think the Browns can win this game. Brian Hoyer is a major upgrade over Brandon Weedon, Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron are STUDS, and their defense is formidable. That being said, they didn't show much of a running game last week, and Cincy is definitely the better team on paper and in real life, coming off a big win vs. Green Bay. I love Gio Bernard, and the Bengals showed a lot rallying back to win after losing an early lead. I will leave you with a statement that might be hard to do: BELIEVE IN THE BROWNS.
Ravens (2-1) over Bills (1-2) (Baltimore at Buffalo, 1:00 Sun. CBS)
After looking less-than-stellar to start the season, the Ravens took care of the Texans last week. The defense looks great, and Ray Rice will be back after missing last week's game due to a quad injury. The Bills have struggled offensively, and going up against the Ravens D won't help. EJ Manuel got out-dueled by fellow rookie QB Geno Smith last week, and running back C.J. Spiller has struggled while battling injury. I believe the Bills' struggles will continue this week.
Bears (3-0) over Lions (2-1) (Chicago at Detroit, 1:00 Sun. FOX)
Both if these teams have looked pretty good so far, and I think both are good teams. The Lions O has been like usual, with Matthew Stafford passing and passing and Calvin Johnson catching and scoring, and The Bears D has been like usual, scoring off turnovers routinely. The Lions lost their #2 receiver Nate Burleson this week when he crashed his car trying to save pizza boxes from falling (hey, I probably would've done that too). He has a broken arm, so someone else will have to step up to draw coverage away from Johnson. I think that will be Ryan Broyles, who just came back from surgery last week and will probably be the new #2 receiver. I don't think the Luins will miss a beat, but I do think the Lions will lose to Jay Cutler, Mat Forte, and the rest of a Bears offense that's been clicking.
Chiefs (3-0) over Giants (0-3) (New York at Kansas City, 1:00 Sun. FOX)
The Chiefs have looked very good so far. The Giants have looked very bad so far. Chiefs QB Alex Smith has thrown zero interceptions through three games. Giants QB Eli Manning ha thrown eight. The Chiefs have have Pro Bowl running back Jamaal Charles, who's playing great again this year. The Giants have David Wilson, Brandon Jacobs, and Da'rell Scott, who make up the league's worst rush offense. The Chiefs D leads the NFL in sacks. The Giants D gave up 38 points to Carolina last week. The Chiefs lead the league in turnover differential. The Giants lead the league in turnovers. You see where this is going.
Vikings (0-3) over Steelers (0-3) (Pittsburgh vs. Minnesota (London, England), 1:00 Sun. CBS)
Exciting! This game is in London, England! Too bad it's between two 0-3 teams. Minnesota won't have QB Christian Ponder (fractured rib), so Matt Cassel will get the start. He can't be much worse than Ponder, and maybe he can help open up things a little for Adrian Peterson, who hasn't done much so far this season. For the Steelers, it looks like rookie running back Le'Veon Bell will make his  debut, which should help things a bit. Ben Rothelisberger has been beaten up, like usual, and has struggled a bit. I think this will be an ugly, low-scoring game. But it is in London!
Cardinals (1-2) over Buccaneers (1-2) (Arizona at Tampa Bay, 1:00 Sun. FOX)
Both of these teams have some issues, but Tampa will be starting rookie QB Mike Glennon in place of Josh Freeman, who was benched earlier this week. Glennon has a big arm and tall stature (6'6"), and he has tools like Doug Martin and Vincent Jackson around him, but Jackson is banged up, and I think Glennon will struggle this week In his first career start.
Colts (2-1) over Jaguars (0-3) (Infianapolis at Jacksonville, 1:00 Sun. CBS)
Some call this a "trap" game. I'm not sure the Jaguars can "trap" anybody. Their offense resembles a train wreck, and they're even giving away free beer to get people to come to the game. They do have MJD, who, if healthy, may be able to do some damage, but they're awful. Compound that with the Colts coming off an impressive win against the 49ers, and this could be a blowout.
Seahawks (3-0) over Texans (2-1) (Seattle at Houston, 1:00 Sun. FOX)
The Seahawks and Broncos are the two best teams in the NFL, I just don't know in what order. The Seahawks have a great power running game and tenacious defense, along with The 12th Man. The 12th Man won't be a factor here, since it's in Houston, but I don't think the soaring Seahawks will
have too much of a problem with the struggling Texans, who are coming off a loss to Baltimore that
wasn't close.
Titans (2-1) over a Jets (2-1) (New York at Tennessee, 4:05 Sun. CBS)
Both teams have pleasantly suprised so far this season, starting 2-1. The teams have the two leading rushers in the AFC, Chris Johnson oft the Titans and Bilal Powell of the Jets, and quarterbacks Jake Locker and Geno Smith have been suprisingly solid thus far. I think the home Titans take this one.
Broncos (3-0) over Eagles (1-2) (Philadelphia at Denver, 4:25 Sun. FOX)
I'm looking forward to watching this game. I still believe in Chip Kelly's high-octane offense, with my fantasy running back LeSean McCoy and the shifty DeSean Jackson, but it will be a little harder at Mile High. Plus, Peyton Manning and all of his weapons will tear the Eagles defense up. I'm predicting a high-scoring game won by the team who in my opinion is the best in the NFL so far.
Redskins (0-3) over Raiders (1-2) (Washington at Oakland, 4:25 Sun. FOX)
The Redskins league-worst defense is lucky that dual-threat Terrelle Pryor won't be starting for the Raiders today due to a concussion (even though he's been medically cleared). If Pryor was starting, I would have chosen the Raiders. But instead, Matt Flynn is starting. Flynn isn't a good runner like Pryor, which takes out a dimension of the offense. I think RGIII will Be improved and beat the Raiders, without their electric QB.
Cowboys (2-1) over Chargers (1-2) (Dallas at San Diego, 4:35 Sun. FOX)
This is a showdown between two up and down quarterbacks, and it could be a shootout. I think it might come down to the defenses, and the Cowboys defense, even without Anthony Spencer, who was placed season ending IR this week, are better. They still have DeMarcus Ware, and they lead the NFC in sacks. I think that wins them the game.
Falcons (1-2) over Patriots (3-0) (New England at Atanta, 8:30 Sun. NBC)
The Patriots are 3-0, but they haven't looked great in their wins. Tom Brady still won't have his two biggest weapons back in Rob Gronkowski and Danny Amendola. Atlanta hasn't looked good either, but they have more healthy weapons and they have home-field advantage. Plus, like I said last week, I like running back Jacquizz Rodgers. I think Atlanta wins what could be another shootout in the Georgia Dome.
Saints (3-0) over Dolphins (3-0) (Miami at New Orleans, 8:30 Mon. ESPN)
I now believe in the Dolphins. They are a good team with an improved quarterback and new weapons, as well as a solid defense. But the Saints have been really good too, with a much improved defense and their same old lethal offense with Drew Brees (my fantasy QB). These are two very good teams, but I think the Saints take care of the Dolphins in the Superdome.

I hope I fare better than lat week, but we'll see. Either way, I'm excited to see some good football this weekend. Remember, please post any comments or suggestions you have. I'm all ears.




No comments:

Post a Comment